When the iPad2 was released in March 2011, we came across this issue;
"How many devices can I sync to my iTunes account?"
The answer is 5! iTunes has a limit of 5 devices per registered account. There seems to be some confusion on what is the 'device'.
The device is the actual mac or pc - not the numbers of ipads, ipods, iphones, ipod touch etc.
In the case of one of our customers he was receiving this message because he got a replacement laptop. This laptop took the number of devices (mac or pc) he has synced his iTunes account with over the years to more than 5.
So what's the solution?
You need to deauthorize a computer from your itunes account - therefore reducing the number of computers to 5 or less, here's how:
To deauthorize a computer
- Open iTunes.
- Choose Store > Deauthorize Computer (In earlier versions of iTunes, access this option from the Advanced menu).
- Select "Deauthorize Computer for Apple Account" and enter your Apple ID and password.
There are a few catches to this.If you upgrade your computer, beit RAM, hard drive or for pc users if you reinstall Windows - you have to remember to deauthorize your computer first! Otherwise, iTunes may think its 'another' computer!
What if your computer operating system crashes beyond repair and needs formatting? If this happens and you are getting the error about number of devices reached - you need to deathourize ALL computers associated with your account.
To deauthorize all computers associated with your account
If you find you have reached 5 authorizations, you can reset your authorization count by clicking Deauthorize All in the Account Information screen.
- Click iTunes Store in the menu on the left side of iTunes.
- If you're not signed in to the store, click the Account button, then enter your account name and password.
- Click the Account button again (your ID appears on the button), enter your password, and then click View Account.
- In the Account Information window, click Deauthorize All.
The deauthorize ALL button wont appear if you have less than 5 computers associated with your iTunes account.
One last catch; you may only use this feature once per year.
Full details here: